Friday, July 20, 2012

British Open and Tiger Woods

Wow, I know its been a couple months since I posted, but I never said I would be posting all that often, but I have to write about this.As some of you know, I am an avid golfer, and a former caddy, so this gives me some leeway to comment on this subject in my own mind.  Here We sit, 4 years, and 1 month almost exactly from the last time Tiger Woods won a major championship, the US Open in 2008, and he has come close this year, closer than he has in the last 4 years.  I have faith in Tiger, this course has proven in the first two rounds to be surprisingly playable, just look at Brant Snedeker today with his -6 round to take the lead at -10.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from Snedeker, but if you saw Tiger's reaction to holing in that bunker shot on 18 to make birdie, the classic fist pump, and high-fiving Joe LaCava, and it said one thing to me, HE'S BACK.  His personal troubles are well documented, no questions asked, but to me his biggest road block in the last four years has been his mental state.  Hank Haney, his former swing coach, has said repeatedly that this is his best chance of the year, and honestly, I'd be more afraid playing a few strokes ahead of him with 36 holes to go, then I would be a few strokes behind him with 36 holes to go this year.  Snedeker could become another first time major winner, but if you look at it this way, Tiger has less pressure being in third going into the weekend a few strokes back then he did at the US Open, tied for the lead.  Tiger still is Tiger, he may be older then when he was dominating and only had to show up to win, but the fact is he's healthy this year, healthier than in years past.  Well thats it, that's my prediction, I pick Tiger Woods to finish this tournament, hoisting the Claret Jug on Sunday, not because Snedeker will lose it, but because Tiger will win it.




No comments:

Post a Comment